Blackboard Connect FAQs
What is Blackboard Connect and why is it important to me?
- Blackboard Connect is a town-to-resident notification service that allows town officials to notify residents and businesses by telephone, cell phone, text message, email and social media regarding time-sensitive general and emergency notifications. Only authorized officials have access to the Blackboard Connect system.
When will Blackboard Connect be used?
Messages regarding the safety, property or welfare of the community may be disseminated using Blackboard Connect. These may include AMBER alerts, notifications of hazardous traffic or road conditions, boil water advisories or evacuation notices. The system may also be used to promote town programs and special events, provide information about power outages and road closures, announce changes to the town's operations schedule, etc.
Does the Blackboard Connect system replace other systems that have been used to provide time-sensitive information to residents?
- This system is an enhancement to existing means of communication and is meant to supplement current or past systems used for mass notification.
Does the Blackboard Connect system already have my telephone number, or do I need to sign up to receive Blackboard Connect notifications?
- The Blackboard Connect database contains information received from public databases, including regional phonebooks. However, no resident should assume that their information is in the system. The phone icon on the home page of the town's website provides a link to the Blackboard Connect Notification Enrollment page where you can register online. If you can not register online, you can call 919-435-9421 to complete your registration over the telephone.
What if I want to register additional numbers for my address?
- After you submit the initial registration form, you may start the registration process again and submit more numbers for the same address.
Is my personal information protected?
- Blackboard Connect takes your security and privacy concerns very seriously. They will not sell, trade, lease or loan any data citizen supplied data to third parties.
How will I recognize a Blackboard Connect message?
- A Blackboard Connect message will have a caller ID of 919-435-9429. We suggest you program the number in your cell phone as a "new contact" and use "Town of Wake Forest" as the contact name. If you need to replay the notification message again, simply dial the number and you will be able to hear the message again.
What should I do if I receive a Blackboard Connect message?
- Listen carefully to the entire message. Do not call 911 for further information unless directed to do so or if you need immediate aid from the Police or Fire department.
I have a cordless phone, and it does not work when the power goes out. How will the system be able to contact me?
- Make sure you have at least one working corded telephone – and be sure to turn the ringer on. The Blackboard Connect sign-up form allows you to indicate both a primary and alternate phone number. Cell phone and/or work phone numbers can be entered as alternate phone numbers. Both primary and alternate phone numbers will be contacted when a notification is sent.
Will the Blackboard Connect system leave a message on an answering machine?
- Yes, Blackboard Connect will leave a message on a machine or on voicemail. The Blackboard Connect system will leave the entire message in one pass.
What happens if the line is busy?
- If the line is busy, Blackboard Connect will try two more times to connect.
What circumstances might prevent a message from being delivered to me?
- If your contact information has changed and you have not registered your new information.
- If you have only cordless phones in your residence, the power is out and you did not register an alternate phone number.
- If your line is busy for an extended time and your calls do not forward to voicemail or an answering machine.
- If you have a privacy manager on your main phone and you did not register an alternate phone number.
The Town of Wake Forest will receive a report of undelivered calls and can instruct Blackboard Connect to begin another round of calls to busy numbers. It is best to have an alternate phone number in the calling database for these situations.