Severe Weather Updates

This page provides the latest information on Town of Wake Forest operations during severe weather. Announcements about town services are also provided in Town news releases and E-Alerts, through the Town app, on Facebook and WFTV Channel 10, and by calling the Wake Forest Weather Line at 919-435-9569. 

Friday, Sept. 6

The Wake Forest Town Hall and all other facilities are operating according to their normal schedules.


Recycling was not collected in the following neighborhoods Thursday because the recycling center closed early. 

  • Western side of Bishops Grant (Opposition Way)

  • Austin Creek

  • Moultonboro

  • Yellow Poplar

  • Rookwood

  • Bowling Green

  • North Hampton

  • Traditions

Republic Services will target these areas today first beginning at 8 a.m. Once Republic completes these neighborhoods, they will begin collecting the Thursday routes. All Thursday and Friday routes will be collected by the end of the day Saturday. 

Thursday, Sept. 5 

Openings & Closings
  • The Wake Forest Town Hall is open today until 5 p.m.

  • The Flaherty Park Community Center (FPCC) and Alston-Massenburg Center (AMC) will close today at 5 p.m. Both are expected to open tomorrow and operate according to their normal schedules. The FPCC will be open 8 a.m.-10 p.m., while the AMC will be open noon-8 p.m.

  • The Wake Forest Renaissance Center is open today until 5 p.m. However, all evening activities have been canceled.

PRCR Schedules
  • All Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources-sponsored baseball and softball games and practices scheduled for today have been canceled.

  • All PRCR classes scheduled for today at all locations have been canceled.

Music at Midday

Music at Midday concert featuring Lydia Salett Dudley and Lou Padro has been postponed due to the threat of inclement weather posed by Hurricane Dorian. It has been rescheduled for Thursday, Oct. 3. Weather permitting, Music at Midday will kick off with Blue Cactus next Thursday, Sept. 12, from noon-1 p.m.

If Your Power Goes Out

  • To report power outages:

    • Wake Forest Power customers call 919-761-7899;

    • Wake Electric customers call 919-863-6499 or 800-743-3155;

    • Duke Energy Progress customers call 800-419-6356.

  • Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Food usually stays frozen about 48 hours. A refrigerator can keep food cold for about four hours. Remember, when in doubt, throw it out.

  • Do not connect a generator directly to your home's electrical system. It is dangerous to you, your neighbors and utility workers. Follow manufacturer's directions regarding connecting appliances directly to your generator.

  • Restoring power after a storm can be challenging, as travel conditions are poor. Before power can be restored, crews first assess damage and determine which crews, equipment and supplies will be needed to make repairs. Because of this, customers may see damage assessors patrolling their neighborhoods before crews arrive to begin work.

  • Crews prioritize work to ensure the largest number of customers are restored as quickly as possible. Essential services, such as hospitals and emergency response facilities, are the first priority.

  • If you lose power, turn off as many appliances and electronics as possible. This helps with restoration efforts because it reduces the immediate demand on power lines when power is restored.

  • Once your power is restored, please wait a few minutes before turning your equipment back on.

Reporting Downed Trees

To report downed trees, visit our Report a Problem web page or call 919-435-9570.

If you encounter trees downed during storms on roads, sidewalks or other public areas, contact the Town rather than trying to handle them on your own. In addition to being heavy and difficult to manage, trees and limbs often come into contact with dangerous, live electrical wires which can cause serious injury or death.

Please do not call 911 unless there is an emergency posing an immediate threat to life, health, or property.

Stay Informed 

In the event severe weather occurs, the Town issues regular updates through a variety of means. To stay informed residents are urged to:


Severe Weather Updates
Communications & Public Affairs Director