Celebrate Public Power Week Oct. 2-8
The Town of Wake Forest and Wake Forest Power are joining more than 2,000 not-for-profit utilities in celebrating Public Power Week Oct. 2-8. As part of this annual week-long celebration, the town and Wake Forest Power will offer several special events and activities:
- Public Power Week Crossword Puzzle Contest – From now through Wednesday, Oct. 5, Wake Forest Power residential electric customers can enter to win free electricity in October by participating in the Public Power Week Crossword Puzzle Contest. Three winners will be announced during the evening Energy Expo on Thursday, Oct. 6. To download the crossword puzzle and registration form, visit the town's website at www.wakeforestnc.gov//wake-forest-power/public-power/public-power-week/crossword-puzzle-contest.
- Savings for Seniors Bingo - Wake Forest-area seniors are invited to enjoy a special morning of bingo outdoors on Tuesday, Oct. 4. From 10 a.m. to noon, Wake Forest Power will host "Savings for Seniors Bingo" in Centennial Plaza, in front of the Wake Forest Town Hall, 301 S. Brooks St. Highlighting a variety of energy-savings ideas, this event will offer participants the chance to have fun and win prizes donated by local merchants. In case of rain, the event will take place inside town hall.
- Customer Appreciation – Public Power Week is also Customer Appreciation Week. As our way of saying "thank you" to our valued customers, town staff will serve popcorn each day in the lobby of town hall, 301 S. Brooks St., and give away special prizes. Staff will also be available to share information and answer questions about Wake Forest's array of customer programs and services.
- Energy Expo – On Thursday, Oct. 6, the lobby of the Wake Forest Town Hall will be the scene of a daytime and evening energy savings and electric safety expo featuring hands-on demonstrations and representatives from Wake Forest Power, ElectriCities, Northern Regional Center, Resources for Seniors, ChurchNet, Wake County Human Services and more. The town and Wake Forest Power will present the daytime expo from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., then welcome co-sponsor Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary for the evening edition from 7 to 8:30 p.m. All area residents are invited to attend and learn how to make their homes more energy efficient, save money on their electric bills, avoid electric hazards, and be safe around electricity. During the energy expo participants can also register to win a variety of special prizes donated by local merchants.
- Free Hot Dogs - Wake Forest Power will celebrate Customer Appreciation Day on Thursday, Oct. 6, by giving away free hot dogs and sodas beginning at 11 a.m. Wake Forest area residents are invited to come get them while they last.
- Electric Safety Demonstrations - Also on Oct. 6, Wake Forest Power linemen will offer on-demand electric safety demonstrations in Centennial Plaza for groups of two or more. The creative program will teach children and adults smart electrical safety habits, demonstrate the power of electricity and show the potential hazards associated with unsafe actions around power lines, pad mount transformers and switchgear. Participants will also experience what it's like to be a lineman and how they stay safe when working wi