Garbage & Recycling
 (PDF file is 6 MB in size)

Yard Waste
(PDF file is 6 MB in size)


Download our Sanitation Guide

Wake Forest was the first municipality in Wake County to offer roll-out comingled curbside community recycling utilizing a 48-gallon cart.  Our program has been cited nationwide for its high customer participation rate and rate of recycling.

Recyclables must be separated from household trash and placed in rollout cart.

Point of Service
Place rollout cart at the curb before 7 am on your scheduled pickup day. Please position cart at least four feet to the side of your solid waste rollout cart to ensure sufficient space for the operation of Republic Waste Services' collection equipment.

Rear Yard Service 
Republic Services offers free rear yard service for the elderly and disabled. For more information, contact Betty Pearce at 919-435-9570.


Days of Service

Holiday Schedule
During holiday weeks, your normal garbage and recycling collection day may change. Collection may occur even though Town Hall is closed. Garbage and recycling customers are encouraged to refer to the Holiday Schedule web page 5-7 days prior to a holiday for updated collection schedules and additional information concerning affected Town services.

  • Garbage & Recycling Collection on Holidays
    The Town of Wake Forest contracts with Republic Services for garbage and recycling collection. Republic does not collect garbage and recycling on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Whenever one of these holidays falls on a weekday, Republic will run that day's garbage and recycling collection route the next day. From that point forward, the week's collection schedule will operate one day later than normal and extend into Saturday. Whenever one of these holidays falls on Saturday or Sunday, Republic will be closed the following Monday. As a result, the collection schedule for the entire week will operate one day later than normal and again extend into Saturday.

What Can Go in the Recycling Container

  • Paper: catalogs, mail, magazines, newspaper, office paper, etc.
  • Glass: bottles, jars (clear, brown, green)
  • Phone books
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Paperboard: cereal boxes, shoeboxes
  • Aseptic juice boxes
  • Gable-top paper cartons: milk cartons
  • Steel food cans
  • Aluminum: cans, pie pans, and foil with no food residue  
  • Six-pack rings with rings cut 
  • Plastic: Narrow-necked, screw-top bottles, such as soda bottles, dairy containers, plastic milk and water jugs and colored bottles labeled or imprinted with one of the following on the bottom of the container:
  1. PETE (Polyethylene Terephthalate): Fizzy drink bottles and oven-ready meal trays.
  2. HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene): Bottles for milk and liquid soap bottles. 
  3. PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): Food trays, cling film, mineral water, plumbing parts and outdoor decking/fencing, just to name a few.
  4. LDPE (Low Density Polyethylene): Grocery bags and bin liners. 
  5. PP (Polypropylene): Margarine tubs, microwaveable meal trays. 
  6. PS (Polystyrene): Yogurt pots, foamed meat or fish trays, hamburger boxes, egg cartons, vending cups, plastic cutlery, protective packaging for electronic goods and toys.
  7. OTHER: Any other plastics that do not fall into any of the above categories.

What Can Not Go in the Recycling Container

  • Plastic bags
  • Styrofoam
  • Stamps and stickers in junk mail
  • Pizza boxes
  • Plastic bottles that contain oil or hazardous substances

Phone Book Recycling
Area residents may dispose of their old phone books throughout the year in their rollout recycling carts or in the "commingled" dumpsters located at the Public Works Operations Center, 234 Friendship Chapel Road.   

Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Electronic Recycling

Important Message About Your Rollout Carts
In the event that you move, do not take your rollout garbage or recycling cart with you. These carts are the property of the Town of Wake Forest and are numerically registered to the address to which they were originally delivered. Residents should record container numbers in case of theft.

If you encounter any problems or have any questions concerning your service, please contact Betty Pearce at 919-435-9570 or Mike Barton at 919-435-9571.