NC GreenPower is an independent, nonprofit organization established to improve North Carolina’s environment through voluntary contributions toward renewable energy. A landmark initiative approved by the N.C. Utilities Commission, NC GreenPower is the first statewide green energy program in the nation administered independently by a nonprofit organization and supported by all of the state’s utilities. The program is designed to improve the environment by encouraging the development of renewable energy resources through consumers' voluntary contributions to NC GreenPower.
Your support will help add more renewable energy to the power supply in our state.
NC GreenPower offers two contribution options:
- The first option is designed primarily for residential or small commercial customers. It features energy produced from renewable sources, such as wind, solar or methane sources. Customers can purchase one or more blocks of clean energy for North Carolina. You can make a contribution of $4.00 per block (100 kilowatt-hours of energy).
- The second option is designed for large-volume users, but it can be purchased by any customer and features energy produced from a wider range of sources, such as biomass and small hydro, at a price comparable with out-of-state green energy tags. Customers pay $2.50 per block of 100 kilowatt-hours but must buy a minimum of 100 blocks.
REASONS TO SIGN UP
You can make a difference. You can impact the future of our children by improving the quality of life and air quality.
It’s affordable and tax-deductible. For as little as $4 a month, you can help protect our environment. Your monthly tax-deductible contribution will add green energy to North Carolina’s power supply. Over a year, that’s the equivalent of not driving a car 74 days or of planting 150 full-grown trees.
It’s easy. Supporting NC GreenPower is an effective way to advance the availability of renewable energy resources in our state. Most of us want to do something to help, but our limited resources and time make it difficult to act. NC GreenPower provides us the opportunity to support cleaner energy sources.
It’s cleaner and environmentally sustainable. With green energy sources such as wind, solar and organic matter we can generate cleaner electricity. It’s a great way to keep us all healthier.
It’s smart. Traditional energy sources like fossil fuels are nonrenewable and inevitably will run out. Working today to build up our supply of renewable energy sources will give us a more secure energy future.
It is the right thing to do. NC GreenPower protects the environment to make North Carolina greener.
NC GREENPOWER FACTS
- NC GreenPower is a statewide program designed to improve North Carolina’s environment through voluntary contributions toward renewable energy.
- This landmark program is the first of its kind in the nation to develop a statewide, regulated plan for green power. Individual utility companies in 31 other states have developed similar programs, but North Carolina’s program is a collaborative effort supported by all the utility companies in the state and is administered by Advanced Energy, an independent, nonprofit corporation located in Raleigh, N.C.
- In January 2003, the N.C. Utilities Commission approved the program plan for NC GreenPower to offer North Carolinians cleaner energy options.
- Any resident of North Carolina may voluntarily contribute to the NC GreenPower program for as little as $4 per month by signing up through their electric utility. That $4 will fund the addition of a block of 100 kilowatt-hours of renewable energy to North Carolina’s power supply. Their contribution will be added to their monthly electric bill. Electric utilities are voluntarily collecting funds and giving them directly to NC GreenPower.
- NC GreenPower is a voluntary program designed for monthly contributions. After two months of non-payment, contributors will be removed from the program and must sign up again to make future contributions. One-time contributions also are welcome. Contributions are nonrefundable.
- Businesses and large-volume consumers may purchase green power at volume discounts.
- The entire contribution will be sent to NC GreenPower to fund renewable energy sources and the NC GreenPower program. The utility companies keep none of the money.